Like the Antiques Roadshow? Pawn Stars? Storage Wars? Interested in learning more about the field of antiques and collectibles? Or are you a recent graduate with a degree in fine art or museum studies? Pook & Pook, Auctioneers and Appraisers is looking for a new team member that is organized and energetic to work full time as an administrative assistant at our gallery in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. We’re fun and face paced and looking for a team player willing to help out in all aspects of auction preparation, with a specific focus on reception duties, auction invoicing, payment processing/resolution, and auction registration. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience. Our fantastic benefits package includes fully paid (no cost to employees) health care, vision, and dental insurance, retirement benefits, as well as discretionary bonus(es).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer phones and greet customers while maintaining composure during busy times.
- Generate and send client invoices immediately after each auction.
- Process payments promptly and ensure payment of invoices before consignors are paid.
- Use proprietary software to enter data and record accurate details of buyers, consignors, etc.
- Work closely with our bid’s administrator and shipping coordinator and assist, as needed.
- Assist Shipping Department with packing and shipping customer purchases.
- Assist customers at auction preview exhibitions and during auctions.
- Assist on auction days by phone bidding, data entry, internet bidding, and/or pick-up during auctions.
- Organize auction catalog mailings by ordering supplies, labeling envelopes, calculating postage, etc.
- Monitor and order office supplies.
- Prepare appraisals of personal property in Excel.
- Process firearms transfers and registrations.
- Handle a wide variety of duties and confidential matters with discretion.
- Good written and spoken use of the English language.
- Strong typing and PC skills: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required. Data entry for in-house auction program.
- Self-motivated with a fresh outlook in a manner to make improvements where necessary.
- Willingness to assist in all aspects of auction preparation and post-auction obligations.
- Able to grasp, retain, and take charge of repetitive processes.
- Work well under pressure and strict deadlines.
- Positive enthusiastic disposition and a natural pro-active problem solver.
- Work well as part of a team, but has a strong independent work ethic.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Preference will be given to a candidate with 2-5 years’ experience as an administrative assistant and who has experience in the antique and/or auction world.
How to Apply: Consideration for an interview will only be given to those who provide a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Those selected for an interview will also be asked to bring a prepared list of three professional references.
No other open positions are available at this time. When positions become available, we seek qualified candidates who have a strong interest in the auction and/or antique industry. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to periodically check this page for employment vacancies.